Fall 2014 Trips
To register for a trip, come to the Adventure Recreation Center (ARC) in room 133A White Building. Bring your PSU ID, health insurance card, and cash payment.
Trips are ALL-INCLUSIVE. Transportation, gear, equipment, and lodging is covered in the trip cost. Food is included on OVERNIGHT trips ONLY.Click here for information about our trip policies
New River Gorge: White Water Rafting & Camping
- 9/5-7/2014. Registration Opens 8/25, 9:00am Student: $43.00 Affiliate: $356.00
- Start your fall semester with a trip that you’re bound to find adventure on! West Virginia’s New River has carved a breath-taking canyon lined with miles of perfect sandstone cliffs for your pleasure. We’ raft down the tricky Gauley River, catching some of the best white water on the east coast! Returning to camp later in the afternoon to enjoy camp activities while sharing stories and enjoying treats during an evening under the stars.
Kayaking/Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP)
- 9/7/2014. Registration Opens 8/25/2014, 9:00am Student: $17.00 Affiliate: $105.00
- Join Penn State Adventure Recreation for a day out on the water celebrating Lake Raystown’s 40th year on its 8,300 acre man-made lake. This is a great opportunity for beginners and moderate boaters to enjoy the late summer outside paddling and playing around on the water.
Challenge Course: Vertical Adventures, Stone Valley, PA,
- 9/12/2014. Registration Opens 8/25/2014, 9:00am Student: $11.00 Affiliate: $43.00
- Join Penn State Adventure Rec for a night off the ground full of fun and adventure at Vertical Adventures! This facility provides challenging and dynamic experiences for groups and individuals who want to push themselves to the edge! This program focuses on high energy team building and team development activities as well as the individual challenges which create opportunities for leadership and creative expression of ones talents.
Vertical Adventures is located in scenic Stone Valley within Rothrock State Forest which is a short drive from University Park and part of the outdoor experiential opportunities at Penn State. Elements used during our time together include traversing from tree house to tree house on the Odyssey II.
WWR-Upper Youghiogheny River
- 9/13/2014. Registration Opens 8/25/2014, 9:00am Student: $15.00 Affiliate: $161.00
- Pump up your fall semester with an adrenaline rush by joining Penn State Adventure Rec for an exciting day of fully guided white water rafting in one of Pennsylvania’s most exciting rivers. The Upper Youghiogheny River is World renowned for continuous whitewater and an impressive average vertical drop of over 115 ft per mile for 5 miles. This creates a river adventure with nonstop intensity, exhilarating thrills, and adrenaline pumping action. Famous for its tight and technical passages, continuous rapids, this is an impressive section of river. "The miracle mile" is a mile long section with a vertical drop of over 120 feet per mile. This section of river was considered un-raftable in the early stages of exploration-Get ready to paddle because on this trip you will hit it with hard intensity!
The river starts gentle as you float the flat water for 1.5 mile, then the warm up mile gets stronger with little rapids in closer succession, and by the end of this chapter the rapids are a bit tougher. Then the awesome central canyon begins. For roughly 5 miles you will paddle 20 major rapids, back to back!! These class III-V rapids which are sure to delight your adrenaline senses and test your stamina.
New River Gorge: White Water Rafting & Camping
- 9/19-21/2014. Registration Opens 9/2/2014, 9:00am Student: $42.00 Affiliate: $366.00
- take a short break after a few weeks into the fall semester with a trip that you’re bound to find adventure on! West Virginia’s New River has carved a breath-taking canyon lined with miles of perfect sandstone cliffs for your pleasure. We’ raft down the tricky Gauley River, catching some of the best white water on the east coast! Returning to camp later in the afternoon to enjoy camp activities while sharing stories and enjoying treats during an evening under the stars. Who knows you may come away with more than an adventure, you may make some new friends!
- 9/21/2014. Registration Opens 9/2/2014, 9:00am Student: $15.00 Affiliate: $48.00
- Ever wonder what it’s like to go caving? Want to scramble around on rocks twisting and stretching your body through the raw earth. Come out with Penn State Adventure Rec and challenge your senses exploring what seems to be an alien world into one of Pennsylvania’s beautiful caves while observing stalactites, flowstone, bats and other cave ecology. The caves we visit vary in length from 250 to 2,000 feet. Ceilings also vary with the highest at eighty-nine feet with openings may be mere passages wide enough for one person or chambers 100 feet wide. Participant joining us in this rare opportunity can expect to spend a few hours traversing the cave.
Canoe/Kayaking and Camping
- 9/26-28/2014. Registration opens 9/2/2014, 9:00am Student: $30.00 Affiliate: $206.00
- Join us on a weekend away from campus paddling on the water on nearby Raystown Lake and relaxing under the stars in Rothrock State Forest. Bring your homework if you must, but plan plenty of time to relax and enjoy the short break away from school.
Mountain Biking, Allegrippis
- 9/28/2014. Registration opens 9/2/2014, 9:00am Student: $17.00 Affiliate: $91.00
- Come take a spin with Penn State Adventure Recreation around the Allegrippis trails as we descend and climb winding through the singletrack and switchbacks on these well groomed trails overlooking Lake Raystown. This ride will be set up for beginners to intermediate level riders with full instruction and encouragement from our staff.
Backpacking, Rothrock State Forest
- 10/3-5/2014, Registration opens 9/8/2014, 9:00am Student:> $30.00 Affiliate: $136.00
- 96,975 acres spanning into 3 counties of forested playground awaits you as we journey in into Rothrock State Forest located a stone’s throw from State College. This area was once stripped of it vitality to provide wood for the Centre regions once blooming iron industry, has seen an outdoor recreational revitalization since the early help of the US conservation Corps. An abundance of activities area available such as hunting, fishing, Mountain bike riding, running, photography, birding, and many more await you in this State Forest.
Come out with Penn State Adventure Recreation and enjoy a weekend of backpacking, sightseeing, and the natural sounds of what goes “bump in the night" in Penn State's neighboring Rothrock-where you may find your new favorite spot to visit.
All 121 State Parks in Pennsylvania feature free admission.
Interested in learning to SCUBA dive or go SCUBA diving, we offer SCUBA courses.