Summer 2013 Trips
All food, transportation, gear, and equipment is covered in the trip cost. Come to the Adventure Recreation Center in 133A White Building to sign up, and please be ready to present your PSU ID, health insurance information and cash payment.
Rock Climbing/Rappelling: Donation,PA
- May 18,2013 Student: $25 Affiliate: $61
- Experience greater confidence, laughter, and fun while challenging yourself rock climbing outside with us at Donation Rocks. These are sandstone/quartzite cliffs with routes ranging from 40'-50' in height found in a gap along the Appalachian Mountains between Huntingdon & State College. The area features a wide variety of top rope climbing routes ranging in class from 5.5 to 5.9 perfect for beginners and moderate climbers. This is an all-inclusive climbing trip and you will be provided all the gear you will need for the day. This is about a 45 minute drive from University Park and thanks to the Climbing Conservancy of Central Pennsylvania (C3PA), Donation Rocks has recently opened back up to the public for those that need to get outside and get their "Rock on!"
- May 25th, 2013 Student: $15 Affiliate: $41
- Ever wonder what it's like to go caving? Want to scramble around on rocks twisting and stretching your body through the raw earth. Come out with Penn State Adventure Rec and challenge your senses exploring what seems to be an alien world into one of Pennsylvania's beautiful caves while observing stalactites, flowstone, bats and other cave ecology. The caves we visit vary in length from 250 to 2,000 feet. Ceilings also vary with the highest at eighty-nine feet with openings may be mere passages wide enough for one person or chambers 100 feet wide. Participant joining us in this rare opportunity can expect to spend a few hours traversing the cave.
High Ropes Course: Vertical Adventures, Stone Valley, PA
- June 1, 2013 Student: $25 Afflilate: $51
- Join Penn State Adventure Rec for a day high off the ground full of fun and adventure at Vertical Adventures in Stone Valley! This facility provides challenging and dynamic experiences for groups and individuals who want to push themselves to the edge! This program focuses on high energy team building and team development activities as well as the individual challenges, which create opportunities for leadership and creative expression of ones talents. Vertical Adventures is located in scenic Rothrock State Forest which is a short drive from University Park and part of the outdoor experiential opportunities at Penn State. Elements used during our time together include traversing from tree house to tree house on the Odyssey II, and the Alpine Tower which is the ultimate oversized jungle gym and then finish off the day with thrills and laughter on the facilities Giant Swing.
For more information: Stone Valley
Night Hike: Mount Nittany
- June 5, 2013 Student: $5 Affiliate: $20
- Hiking Mt. Nittany is a must-do for Penn State students while at the University Park campus. To top it off Penn State Adventure rec will be doing a night hike which will provide an awesome opportunity to enjoy the stars and views of Happy Valley. Its fame comes from the legend of Princess Nittany, and it is a landmark for the Pennsylvania State University, whose mascot, the Nittany Lion, is named for. With the mountain located five minutes from the University, this hike is convenient and offers almost nine miles of excellent volunteer-maintained trails managed by the Mt. Nittany Conservancy. Typically the hike last no more than 4-5 hours to see the whole mountain, or under 2 hours to circle the top.
For more information: Mt. Nittany
Kayaking/Stand up Paddle Boarding: Raystown Lake, PA
- June 8, 2013 Student: $25 Affliliate: $67
- Enjoy the day playing on the waters of Raystown lake kayaking and participating in one of our new activities; stand up paddle boarding. Raystown Lake is up to 200 ft deep in some areas and spans 8,000 acres in a scenic valley. The lake has 12 public access areas and beaches as well as picnic areas. It will be a relaxing retreat out on the water, away from the constant buzz of State College.
For more information: Raystown Lake
White Water Rafting: Youghiogheny River, PA
- June 15, 2013 Student: $35 Affiliate: $106
- Start your summer off with an adrenaline rush by joining Penn State Adventure Rec for an exciting day of fully guided white water rafting in one of Pennsylvania's most exciting rivers. The lower Youghiogheny River offers class III rapids which are sure to delight your senses and test your stamina. Youghiogheny is an Algonquin word meaning "a stream flowing in a contrary direction". Participants will have the opportunity to learn paddling techniques and strokes while steering your raft through some amazing rapids. Lunch will be provided on the banks of the river giving you the opportunity to learn some of the Youghiogheny rivers local history from the guides and heard about the events of your fellow rafters.
Rivers That Flow North
(actually downhill) in a northerly direction
THE FACTS: Unless the land it totally flat, rivers of water run downhill. The vast percentage of rivers on the planet flow in a southerly direction because the source (usually in the mountains) is to the north of the mouth.
If the source of a river is at a higher elevation than the mouth, that river will run from the source to the mouth. However, if that (higher) source is to the south of the mouth, that river will then flow to the north (downhill).