Club sport organizations at
The Pennsylvania State University are participation based student organizations whose members meet regularly to pursue an interest in sport or physical activity.
Currently, there are over 68 club sport organizations. Any group of students may start a new club sport organization, provided it meets the following criteria:
- The organization must meet the requirements of a recognized student organization, as defined by the Office of Student Activities*; and
- The organization must meet the
definition of a club sport; and
- The organization's primary activity must not duplicate that of an existing club sport organization; and
- The organization must offer an
activity that falls within acceptable safety guidelines, as
determined by the Manager of Club Sports, and the offices of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety; and
- The organization must offer activities for which approved space is available; and
- The primary activity of the organization must involve physical activity and may involve competition; and
- The organization must have a minimum of 10 full time student members; and
- Full-time Pennsylvania State University , University Park students must comprise at least 51% of the membership of the organization; and
- Full-time Pennsylvania State University , University Park students must fill the leadership roles within the organization; and
- Only full-time Pennsylvania State University, University Park students may compete on behalf of University Park Club Sport organizations; and
- Exemptions to this rule may be made if a student is completing her/her final semester prior to graduation, and requires less than 12 credits (undergraduate) or 9 credits (graduate) for graduation.
- All organizational decisions must be made by full-time elected student leaders;
- Membership in the organization must be open to all Pennsylvania State University, University Park students, faculty, and staff.
- The organization's membership may be exclusively men, exclusively women, or mixed.
- The organization may not exclude any Pennsylvania State University , University Park students, faculty, or staff on any basis other than gender or disciplinary cause.
If you are interested in starting a new club sport organization, you should contact
Tommy Otterbine, Coordinator of the Club Sports Program for more information.