143 White Building
University Park, PA 16802
Phone:  (814)865-9202
Fax:      (814)863-2851


HomeAdventure RecreationAquaticsClub SportsFacilitiesFitnessIntermuralsTeam Sports

OverviewActivationAllocation Funds CriteriaBenefitsClassification System

Club Sports Advisory CouncilCoach and Advisor CouncilFinancial Accounts

Fundraising and SponsorshipGeneral Participation and SafetyMembership and Eligibility

PositionsPromotion and PublicityRisk LevelsTravel



  1. Club sport organizations planning to schedule trips must submit a Travel Request form (online) at least ten (10) business days prior to the requested departure date of any trip unless otherwise approved by the Club Sport Coordinator.

    1. The Club Sports Office will notify the club sport organization of the status of the Transportation Request.

                                                               i.      No travel arrangements may be made by the club sport organization without approval of the Club Sports Office.

                                                             ii.      The notification from the Club Sports Office will provide instructions to the club sport organization on how to proceed with travel arrangements.

1.      Club Sports Office may instruct the club sport organization to make travel arrangements.

2.      Club Sport Office may inform the club sport organization of travel arrangements that have been made.

  1. Club sport organizations that have received approval of a Travel Request must complete and submit a Travel Itinerary (online) at least 48 hours prior to departure, or by noon on Thursday if departure is scheduled for Saturday or Sunday. For Charter Buses, a Travel Itinerary form must be submitted at least 5 business days prior to trip.  Travel Itinerary must indicate all final travel arrangements.

  2. Club sport organizations may request to use University vehicles, rent commercial vehicles, or use private vehicles for club travel. Regardless of vehicle provider, Penn State, Athletic Department and Club Sports Program policies must be followed at all times.  

    1. When using PSU Fleet vehicles, PSU Fleet Operations policies and procedures must be followed.

                                                               i.      15 passenger van drivers must be Pennsylvania State University employees and be at least 25 years old.

                                                             ii.      All other Fleet vehicles must may be driven by Penn State University employees at least 21 years old.

    1. Per Department of Intercollegiate Athletics policy, maximum capacity of a 15 passenger van (private vehicle, commercial rental or PSU Fleet) may not exceed 10 people (including driver).

    2. Club sport organizations may use a personal or rental vehicle that has a minimum insurance coverage of $300,000 bodily injury per accident/$100,000 bodily injury per person; $25,000-Medical per occurrence and $100,000-Property damage. Only insured vehicles may be used for club travel.

                                                               i.      The registered owner of a personal vehicle used for club sports travel must complete and submit a Vehicle Owner Acceptance of Responsibility form, a valid vehicle registration card, a valid insurance card, and valid drivers licenses of all drivers to the Club Sports Program office at least 24 hours prior departure.

                                                             ii.      Pennsylvania State University and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics does not provide insurance for the vehicle, its driver, or occupants and are not liable for personal injury or property damage, including damage to the vehicle, incurred in accidents during club sports travel.

                                                            iii.      Both the vehicle owner and the driver should understand that they may be exposing themselves to personal liability in the event of an accident.

  1. Club sport organizations may travel via commercial airlines. Clubs requesting to fly will be notified if an officer may book the airline tickets, or if it will be done by the Club Sports Office.

  2. Club Sport Organizations may choose to lodge at commercial hotels, private residences, or camp grounds. Regardless of type of lodging, specific contact information and location must be indicated on the Travel Itinerary.

    1. The Club Sports Office must approve the number of rooms that the club will be incurring the cost for. As a general rule, the Club Sport Program will approve one room per four (4) males or females. If fewer males and/or females will be lodging, a one room will be approved for males, and/or one for females.

                                                               i.      If more than two participants are sharing a room, the Club Sports Office will approve expenses for cost of roll-away cots, if sufficient funds are available.

    1. The Club Sports Program prohibits males and females from sharing hotel rooms.

  1. Club sport organizations may request a meal allowance per traveler per day. The maximum allowable amount for meal allowances is $28 per traveler per day. Meal allowances must be requested on the Travel and Accommodation form and will be provided as a cash advance.

    1. Meal allowances through Allocation, OUD, and Endowment require all travelers receiving meal allowance to sign a Team Meal Allowance Form upon returning from trips. This form, and any unused funds, must be submitted to the Club Sports Office by the Wednesday following return.

    2. Club sport organizations may use ASA accounts to get meal allowances in the form of cash advances or as reimbursable expenses upon returning from trips.

                                                               i.      In the case of a cash advance meal allowance, all original receipts and any unused finds must be retuned to the Club Sports Office and any unused funds must be submitted to the Club Sports Office by the Wednesday following return. In the case of reimbursable expenses, original receipts are required in order to receive reimbursement.

  1. A Safety Officer, who accepts responsibility to supervise the club while traveling, must accompany all Risk Level I and II club sport organizations on trips.

  2. No alcoholic beverages or non-prescribed controlled substances may be present or consumed by club sport organization members while traveling or participating in club sponsored events (from departure to return), regardless of age.